Kinetic Approach-based Investigation of Taylor-Görtler Instability in Jets
Mathematics and Mathematical Modelling # 01, February 2016
1 Federal Research Centre "Information and Management" of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
2 Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, Moscow, Russia
The aim of the paper is to study the unstable processes in free supersonic unstable jet flows. The direct method of solving a kinetic equation is used. For numerical solution the finite-different schemes are applied. To perform parallel computations a supercomputer MVS-100K is used. The maximum number of processors was 480. A mechanism of instability for a supercritical regime for 3D flows is investigated. Solutions of these problems are made for flows in a wide range of Knudsen number Kn with different aspect ratio of the orifice (square and rectangular forms). Mach number Ma = 1.4 and a ratio of pressure in the orifice and the background pressure np = 3.16. Comparison with results of known experiments is made. In calculations we have observed that for a subcritical regime with the large Knudsen numbers (small Reynolds numbers) a vorticity of the flow fields in the cross sections is equal zero. For supercritical regimes a system of streamwise pair vortices is obtained. That corresponds to theoretical and experimental data. The paper studies such a system of the Taylor-Görtler vortices in different cross-sections in an initial region of a jet. It presents results of numerous computations. When modeling a roughness in the nozzle orifice it has been found that the character of instability with disturbance of the symmetry in the cross-sections downstream is complicated. Based on direct method to solve the kinetic equation the paper, for the first time, studies in detail the character of 3D instability.References
Previously, these problems were solved by continuum methods and also for some variants of flows was used the Direct Simulation Monte Carlo method. A potential field of application of the given results is theoretical and experimental investigations with more detailed, in comparison with previous studies, description of unstable supersonic flows, which show the similar features of the Taylor-Görtler instability. Based on conducted study the paper comes to conclusion that the direct methods of the kinetic approach allow us to describe appropriately a mechanism of the transition to the unstable flows in supersonic jets. We believe that a further study will make it possible to show up the characteristics of turbulence in free supersonic jets.
- Floryan J.M. On the Görtler instability of boundary layers. Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 1991, vol. 28, pp. 235-271.
- Krothapalli A., Buzyna G., Lourenco L. Streamwise vortices in an underexpanded axisymmetric jet. Physics of Fluids A, 1991, vol. 3, pp. 1848-1851.
- Arnette S.A., Samimy M., Elliott G.S. On streamwise vortices in high Reynolds number supersonic axisymmetric jets. Physics of Fluids A, 1993, vol. 5, pp. 187-202.
- Zapryagaev V.I., Kiselev N.P., Pavlov A.A. Effect of streamline curvature on intensity of streamwise vortices in the mixing layer of supersonic jets. Prikladnaya mekhanika i tekhnicheskaya fizika = Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, 2004, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 32-43. (in Russian). (English version of journal: Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, 2004, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 335-343. DOI: 10.1023/B:JAMT.0000025014.73642.1d).
- Zapryagaev V.I., Solotchin A.V. Experimental investigation of the nozzle roughness effect on streamwise vortices in a supersonic jet. Prikladnaya mekhanika i tekhnicheskaya fizika = Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, 1997, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 86-96. (in Russian). (English translation: Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, 1997, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 78-86. DOI: 10.1007/BF02468276)
- Zapryagaev V.I., Solotchin A.V. Evolution of streamwise vortices at the initial part of a supersonic nonisobaric jet in the presence of microroughnesses of the internal surface of the nozzle. Izvestiya RAN. Mekhanika Zhidkosti I Gaza, 1997, no. 3, pp. 180-185. (in Russian). (English version of journal: Fluid Dynamics, 1997, vol. 32, no.3, pp. 465-469).
- Novopashin S.A., Perepelkin A.L. Axial symmetry loss of a supersonic preturbulent jet. Physical Letters, 1989, vol. 135, no. 4/5, pp. 290-293. DOI: 10.1016/0375-9601(89)90116-3
- Liepman D., Gharib M. The role of streamwise vortices in near-field entrainment of round jets. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 1992, vol. 245, pp. 643-667.
- Usami M. Teshima K. [Three dimensional simulation on deformation of jet boundary in an underexpanded axisymmetric jet]. Proc. 24th Intern. Symp on Rarefied Gas Dynamics. AIP Conference Proceedings, Melville, New York, 2005, vol. 762, pp. 401-406.
- Aristov V.V. Direct methods for solving the Boltzmann equation and study of nonequilibrium flows. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001. 302 p.
- Shakhov E.M. Generalization of the Krook kinetic relaxation equation. Izvestiya AN SSSR. Mekhanika Zhidkosti i Gaza, 1968, no. 5, pp. 142-145. (in Russian). (English translation: Fluid Dynamics, 1968, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 95-96. DOI: 10.1007/BF01029546)
- Rovenskaya O.I. Analysis of the evolution of an eddy system based on the Boltzmann equation. Zhurnal vychislitel’noy matematiki I matematicheskoy fiziki, 2007, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1609-1615. (in Russian). (English translation: Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics, 2007, vol. 47, pp. 1544–1550. DOI: 10.1134/S0965542507090151).
- Aristov V.V., Rovenskaya O.I., Application of the Boltzmann kinetic equation to the eddy problems. Computers & Fluids, 2011, vol.50, pp. 189-198. DOI: 10.1016/j.compfluid.2011.07.007
- Aristov V.V., Rovenskaya O.I. Kinetic description of the turbulence in the supersonic compressible flow over a backward/forward-facing step. Computers & Fluids, 2015, vol.111, pp. 150-158. DOI: 10.1016/j.compfluid.2015.01.012
- Aristov V.V. Study of stable and unstable jet flows on the basis of the Boltzmann equation. Izvestiya RAN. Mekhanika Zhidkosti I Gaza, 1998, no. 2, pp. 153-157. (in Russian). (English version of journal: Fluid Dynamics, 1998, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 280-283. DOI: 10.1007/BF02698713)
- Aristov V.V., Zabelok S.A., Frolova A.A. Structure of free supersonic jets studied by means of the Boltzmann equation. Matematicheskoe modelirovanie, 2004, vol.16, no. 6, pp. 31-34. (in Russian).
- Chyczewski T.S. A time dependent three dimensional numerical study of supersonic rectangular jet flow and noise using the full Navier-Stokes equations. Ph.D. thesis, 1996.
- J.R. DeBonis J.N. Scott Large-Eddy Simulation of a Turbulent Compressible Round Jet. AIAA Journal, 2002, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1346-1354. DOI: 10.2514/2.1794